Just because the temperature has dropped doesn’t mean all the fun has to move indoors. What better way to embrace the season than to try your hand at one of the three S’s: skiing, sledding, and skating. Whether your preferred mode of winter transportation is hitting the slopes on skis or gliding over snow and ice on a sled or pair of skates, one thing’s for sure – the frozen Ocean State has plenty of places to let your love of winter fun run wild.
For an epic excursion, check out Little Rhody’s beloved – and only – slopes and prepare to fly through the powder at Yawgoo Valley. Or, if you’re lacking that need for speed, take a leisurely approach to winter with a cross-country across Pulaski State Park’s 10 miles of groomed trails.
- Pulaski Memorial Recreation Area, 151 Pulaski Road, Chepachet
- Yawgoo Valley Ski Area, 160 Yawgoo Valley Road, Exeter
Sharpen your blades and hit the ice for a day of family fun and fitness when you go ice skating. No matter your skill level, you can certainly enjoy gliding the ice – even if you’re a bit shaky to start. Offered both at indoor rinks and outdoor venues, it’s important that you dress for the weather – and newbies, stay padded in case of a slip.
- Alex and Ani City Center, 2 Kennedy Plaza, Providence
- Benny Magiera Ice Rink, 100 Factory Street, West Warwick
- Cranston Veterans Memorial Ice Rink, 900 Phenix Avenue, Cranston
- Dennis M. Lynch Arena, 25 Andrew D Ferland Way, Pawtucket
- Smithfield Municipal Ice Rink, 101 Pleasant View Avenue, Smithfield
- Thayer Arena, 975 Sandy Lane, Warwick
- Washington Trust Community Skating Center, 61 Main Street, Westerly
Don your warmest winter gear and climb the biggest hill you can find to indulge in your favorite childhood winter pastime: sledding. Feel the euphoria that comes with hurtling feet-first down any of these hills.
- Arcadia Management Area, 260 Arcadia Road, Hope Valley
- Big River Management Area, Nooseneck Hill Road, West Greenwich
- Colt State Park, Route 114, Bristol
- Diamond Hill Park, 4097 Diamond Hill Road, Cumberland
- Fort Adams State Park, 80 Fort Adams Drive, Newport
- Goddard State Park, 1095 Ives Road, East Greenwich
- India Point Park, 291 India Street, Providence
- Jenks Park, Broad Street, Central Falls
- Lincoln Woods State Park, 2 Manchester Print Works Road, Lincoln
- Neutaconkanut Hill Conservatory, 675 Plainfield Street, Providence
- Rhode Island Country Club, 150 Nyatt Road, Barrington
- Roger Williams Park, 1000 Elmwood Avenue, Providence
- Yawgoo Valley Snow Tubing, 220 Yawgoo Valley Road, Exeter